Monday 24 June 2013

Miss Wales

What's all this fandangle about?

Well, honestly to begin with i was completely naive to this whole pageantry business. It was completely obvious from the get go I was completely unprepared for the unexpected journey to come.

I never saw myself as a "pageant girl" nor do I still, so why did I enter? Admittedly I have this "YOLO" attitude about me, and I saw an advert on a social networking site explaining that an agency were recruiting contenders for the title. Consequently, me being me I had the urge to apply... what's the worst that could've happened right? I expected nothing to come from it. Weeks passed and I forgot about it until one day an email appeared in my inbox which explained I made it to a regional final. Honestly I didn't know how to react; it was a mix between OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE and OMG I ACTUALLY MADE IT THROUGH? Luckily I made it through the regional final with the publicity title, i got the most public votes...I still don't know how that happened to be honest :') anyway at that point everything started to sink in... I was about to get up on stage with some of the most beautiful girls in the country and somehow I had to compete with them? GOOD LUCK SOPHIE! not to mention I had to find a sponsor to secure my place in the final.. which believe me was a bit of a kerfuffle.

All of that aside running up to the final Miss Wales had a 3 day marathon... a charity ball which friends thought I got married at (I shall explain shortly) an empowerment day and the actual grand final which took place at St Davids Hall in Cardiff.

The empowerment day come first... the whole aim was to give us girls the "can do" attitude as we spent the whole day with an amazing yet eccentric life coach... basically long story short we ended up breaking boards with our bare hands

                                 (That's me with my broken board and biscuit smelling fake tan)

The Charity Ball in aid of Bobath Cymru come the next day. I asked one of my good friends to come with me and it got a bit complicated. By the way meet my friend Marek...


Anyway there was a misguided conception that Marek and I got hitched that very day because of this one photo I uploaded online...


Now people... just because one guy and a girl who are friends are dressed in a tux and a white dress does not mean we eloped! Continuing with this story, the ball ended up finishing at 1am, I won a grant for a week empowerment course some place in October. I wasn't able to get much beauty sleep for the final the next day to say the least :')

The day of the grand final come and to be honest i was bricking it! we spent all day rehearsing and my feet were swollen even before the show started. we had three rounds, Welsh wear, party wear and formal wear and each outfit took a chunk out of my pocket. 




Even though I didn't win the final I had the most amazing experience and I'll always be proud to be a Miss Wales finalist 2013. I'm hoping to win the Miss Blaenau Gwent title next year :) 

To finish here's me and some of the gorgeous girls I was lucky to make friends with...

Thanks for reading
Sophie x 

No comments:

Post a Comment